- Mantra Southbank Melbourne (Use the promo code CHIPLAY2018 for 10% off any room type between 27th October–1st November 2018, when booked before 27th September 2018.
- DoubleTree Hilton
- Melbourne contains numerous restaurants tailored to specific cultural, religious and dietary requirements
- Food on demand – Uber Eats and Deliveroo provide food delivery from an extensive range of restaurants and eateries both in the CBD and wider Melbourne areas via their Android and iOS apps.
- Please visit the following website for more information on Melbourne food: http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/Melbourne/Food-and-wine
Transport & Getting Around
- Melbourne Airport (also known as Tullamarine Airport): https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/
- This is the major international airport for Melbourne located approximately 17km north of Melbourne CBD.
- Melbourne Airport is the recommended closest airport to Melbourne.
- Avalon Airport: https://www.avalonairport.com.au/
- This airport mainly serves domestic flights and is approximately 50km southwest of Melbourne CBD.
Ground Transport in Melbourne
- Skybus – bus service direct from either Melbourne or Avalon Airport to the Melbourne CBD (at Southern Cross Train Station) leaving every 10-15 minutes, as well as select CBD hotels. For information see https://www.skybus.com.au/
- Public Transport (trams, trains, buses) – Melbourne has the most extensive tram network in the world (‘Yarra Trams’), and includes free tram travel throughout the CBD. For tram travel outside the CBD as well as trains and buses, a ‘Myki’ card is required for all public transport and can be purchases at retail stores throughout Melbourne. See website for details at https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/
- Note that complete public transport routes and directions are also available for Melbourne using Google Maps and selecting ‘Public Transit’ directions.
- Myki Explorer – The $15 AUD Myki Explorer pack provides the refillable Myki card including $9 credit and discount coupons for many Melbourne attractions. Available for ordering at https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/buy-a-myki/myki-explorer/ or can be purchased at select locations in Melbourne including the visitor centre in Federation Square.
- Uber is available in Melbourne. Note that this is the only ridesharing app currently available for Melbourne.
- Taxis are available in Melbourne. Taxi services include:
Attractions & Events
Attractions in Melbourne CBD with easy walking or free tram distance:
- City Circle Tram – free tram to tour the Melbourne CBD districts. Information at https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/route/view/1112/
- ACMI – Australian Centre for the Moving Image: https://www.acmi.net.au/
- Bourke Street Mall – shopping in the heart of Melbourne CBD connecting several major shopping centres (Emporium, Melbourne Central) and easily accessible by walking or tram. Includes Myer Melbourne, the largest department store in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Chinatown Melbourne – https://chinatownmelbourne.com.au
- Queen Victoria Market – http://www.visitvictoria.com/regions/Melbourne/Things-to-do/Shopping/Markets/Queen-Victoria-Market.aspx
- Melbourne international games week – http://gamesweek.melbourne
- PAX 2018 – http://aus.paxsite.com
Universities in Melbourne
- Deakin University – http://www.deakin.edu.au/
- La Trobe University – http://www.latrobe.edu.au/
- Monash University – https://www.monash.edu/
- RMIT – https://www.rmit.edu.au/
- Swinburne University – http://www.swinburne.edu.au/
- University of Melbourne – http://www.unimelb.edu.au/
- Victoria University – https://www.vu.edu.au/