Authors are invited to submit high-quality original work to advance the field of player-computer interaction research. CHI PLAY 2020 welcomes submissions that further our understanding of the player experience, as well as contributions on novel designs or implementations of player-computer interactions, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Playful interactions and new game mechanics
- Innovative implementation techniques that affect player experiences
- Studies of applied games and player experiences (e.g., games and play for health, wellbeing, and learning)
- Accessible and inclusive design and play experience
- Advances in game user research and game evaluation methods
- Psychology of players and typologies of games and players
- Gamification, persuasive games, and motivational design
- Virtual and augmented reality in games and play
- Novel controls, input or display technologies for games and play
- Tools for game creation
- Innovations to advance the work of game designers and developers
- Game analytics and novel visualizations of player experiences
- Developer experiences and studies of developers
- Industry case studies
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the organizational team of CHI PLAY 2020 together with the steering committee decided to extend the submission deadline of Full Papers from 7th of April to the 21st of April, 23:59 AoE. We acknowledge that user studies planned to be conducted right now are compromised. Currently it is uncertain when co-located user studies can be conducted safely again. We want to stress that CHI PLAY embraces a wide variety of research contributions and we would like to encourage authors to think ‘bold and beyond’. While CHI PLAY has always been open to the full bandwidth of ways of knowing, adapting to the situation, our reviewing guidelines will emphasize the value of other ways to gain insights beyond user studies.
Important dates (23:59 AoE)
April 21, 2020
|Full Papers submission deadline|
June 18, 2020
|Reviews sent to authors|
June 26, 2020
July 10, 2020
|Decisions sent to authors|
|August 7, 2020||Final camera-ready papers due|
- All times are 23:59 Anywhere on Earth (AoE)
- 7-12 pages (references excluded) in SIGCHI Proceedings Format
- Submissions must be made to CHI PLAY 2020 using the Precision Conference System (PCS)
- Submissions are ANONYMOUS
CHI PLAY 2020 will not make a distinction between notes and papers, but encourages authors to use the number of pages necessary, with a lower limit of 7 pages and an upper limit of 12 pages. Paper length should match the research approach and size of the contribution. References do not count toward the page limit.
Please do not use the former SIGCHI template but use the interim template instead, for more information, see the submission guidelines.
All papers, irrespective of length, will undergo the same review process and are evaluated against the same review criteria. All accepted papers will be included in the conference proceedings published in the ACM Digital Library, and will be presented at the conference with a standard speaking length.
We strongly encourage authors to submit a video to support and accompany their submission when applicable. Authors should ensure that videos as well ensure anonymization. Papers may refer to these videos. If needed, appendices can be uploaded containing supplementary material. When added to the paper itself, appendices will count towards the 12 pages page limit. Supplementary material should respect anonymization as well.
Submissions must be made using the Precision Conference System (PCS).
Papers will be subject to anonymous peer reviewing and all identifying information about authors needs to be removed from the submitted manuscripts. Citations to own work must not be anonymous, but should be described in a way that does not reveal the authors of the submitted paper as the author of the cited work. For example, instead of “We build on our previous work  through…” one should say “We build on the work of et al.  through…” Papers failing to meet these criteria (paper length, acceptable language, anonymized) will be desk rejected.
All accepted papers must be presented as an oral presentation at the conference, by one of the authors of the paper. The presenting author must register for the full conference. Similar to previous years, the program committee will nominate papers for best paper awards (top 1% of submissions) and honorary mentions (top 5% of submissions).
After the Conference
Full papers will be archived in the CHI PLAY 2020 Conference proceedings available in the ACM Digital Library.
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org